Adding Custom Fields to Online Registration
Technical Level: Easy
This article will guide you through creating custom fields to use with online registration. These same custom fields can also be used for walk-in and staff-added registrations. This information will also appear under those categories to aid in making it easier to configure.
All that is needed to initially create a custom field is a unique field name (you can't have two fields with the same exact name) and to determine what type of field you wish to use. The types of fields that are available are listed below with a brief description of the field type.
• Text Field - this is a free-text field in which you may type anything you like; keep in mind, however, that the space on any given screen is limited so you'll want to avoid trying to enter more than a brief description or note.
• Date Field - most commonly used to collect date-of-birth (DOB), this allows the patient or staff user to input a date by typing it in the MM/DD/YYYY format. Clinics have the option of turning on validation to ensure that the DOB meets certain minimum requirements (namely, that the date of birth is not today's date) to prevent the patient/staff from inadvertently entering today's date when they see a date field.
• Phone Field - this field will force the user to enter a 10-digit phone number and will fail validation if the user attempts to input any other type of data. This will NOT, however, validate the authenticity of the phone number itself. As long as the number is in the correct format, it will be accepted by the system and used in an attempt to contact the user.
• Number Field - this field will accept only numeric input and can be used to collect age, to show a particular exam room, or to input some patient ID or insurance account information.
• Check Box - This is a check box which represents a Boolean TRUE/FALSE selection. It is a single check box and cannot be used to make multiple selections.
• Select Dropdown - This is a multi-option pick list, but only one value can be selected at a time. Values can be added to the pick list and sorted in any manner desired. One caveat is that the values in the list cannot contain commas since the list itself is comma-delimited. If attempting to use, say, 'LastName, FirstName', one would need to input the value as 'LastName_FirstName'. This list is frequently used for provider or symptom selection, but can be used for exam rooms, patient statuses, or even shifts for 24/7 clinics. The pick list can also be configured to have an 'Other' option which will then be allowed to enter a free-text value by the patient or staff member.
• Form Label - This is a custom field which is used to display a text message. The verbiage can be displayed in either English or Spanish. The values are entered in the Display Text (and Spanish Text, if translation is available) dialogs.
Field Collection Options
NOTE: After making any changes to custom field settings, one must click the green Save Custom Field button upper-right to preserve any changes.
• Requirement Configurations - Custom fields can be required for registration, and can be configured differently for online vs kiosk vs staff-added patients. In addition to requiring entry by patients or staff, the timing of the field presentation can be required to be post-online confirmation or post-check-in. Lastly, custom fields can be required when multiple patients are registering at the same time (if multi-patient reservations are enabled).
• Form Displays - Custom fields can also be configured as to where, when, and how the empty field will present itself. The field can present on the online form, the kiosk form, and/or the staff-added form. In addition to appearing at the time the registration form is presented, it can also be configured to present after online confirmation, after check-in, or after the callback button is clicked. The field can also be configured to use the whole line (rather than wrapping in a half-line space) or it can be configured to show in a separate modal window.
• List Displays - Custom fields can be configured as to where the completed field will display its information. The field data can be shown on the wait room display, on the patient queue page, or on the nurse page in the callback and/or the discharge list (To show the field data on the Patient Queue and Nurse Screen, that must be configured by a Clockwise Team Member).
By default, custom fields are configured to 'always show'. However, custom fields can be configured to ONLY present if/when certain triggers or criteria are met. Current triggers are a) Leave-and-Come-Back check box, and b) Patient Type, as well as any other custom fields which you have created.
You can set a default value for your custom field if the default value will not cause issues if it is not changed. One should avoid setting default values for fields which would always require a change by the patient or staff.